NEW from Apricorn: Aegis Padlock DT
USB 3.0 Encrypted Desktop Drive with PIN Access
- Thursday, February 2, 2012
Poway, CA – February 2, 2012 – Apricorn, a leading designer and manufacturer of data security products for business, has expanded their award winning Aegis Secure Drives to the desktop environment with the announcement of a new, powerful desktop edition, the Aegis Padlock DT. Sporting a spacious capacity of up to 3 TB with a Super Speed USB 3.0 interface, the Aegis Padlock DT not only provides immense storage and lightning fast access speeds, but also protects its data with seamless AES-XTS hardware encryption and secure PIN access. With its software free design, simple setup and starting price of $229, the Aegis Padlock DT provides a complete data storage solution that is affordable, secure and effortless to deploy in a demanding office environment.
““On site data security is just as critical as a firewall protecting a company’s network, customer records and other sensitive files,” said Mike McCandless, VP of Sales and Marketing at Apricorn. “With several high profile cases of hard drives being stolen or missing from an office, or sensitive data being accessed by unauthorized personnel, the need for a high capacity secure desktop drive was apparent.””
Protection From Unauthorized Access
• Alphanumeric keypad for secure access - The Aegis Padlock DT uses an onboard keypad to unlock the drive with a unique 6-16 digit PIN. The embedded keypad prevents hardware or software malware attempts to capture your password entered via the host system.
• Military grade hardware encryption - All data on the drive is protected in real-time using your choice of AES-XTS 128-bit or 256-bit hardware encryption. Encryption keys and PINs are never exposed to the host system and are protected using SHA-256 hashing cryptographic algorithm.
• Auto-lock - The unattended Aegis Padlock DT can be configured to lock after a pre-determined amount of time of your choosing. Ideal for protecting your data when you’re away from your desk.
• Brute Force Defense Mechanism - Protecting against automated attempts to crack the drive’s PIN, the Aegis Padlock DT uses a three pronged approach to protect itself from hackers; after denying access to incorrect PINs 5 times, the DT requires the drive to be disconnected and reconnected to the USB port. Once the maximum number of failed attempts has been reached the Aegis Padlock DT deletes the encryption key rendering all stored data useless and requiring a complete reset of the Aegis Padlock DT in order to redeploy the drive.
Perfect for Corporate Deployments
Simple to deploy and manage in corporate environments, the Aegis Padlock DT can be configured with independent Admin and User PINs. If the user forgets their PIN, the drive can be unlocked using the Admin PIN. The Aegis Padlock DT also employs a useful drive reset feature, which can be implemented with a unique command. This clears all PINs and data, and creates a new randomly generated encryption key, enabling the drive to be reset and redeployed as many times as needed.
• Software Free Design - With no Admin rights to contend and no software or drivers to install, the Aegis Padlock DT can work with any USB enabled OS, including Windows, Mac and Linux.
• USB 3.0 Super Speed connection - with data transfer rates of up to 10x those of USB 2.0 devices, you can access your high capacity hard drive faster than ever.
• Aluminum Enclosure with Wear Resistant Keypad - With a solid aluminum heat dissipating enclosure the Aegis Padlock DT is able to whisk away heat from the rotating drive inside. In addition, the Aegis Padlock’s wear resistant keypad hides key usage, avoiding tipping off a potential hacker to the commonly used keys.
Available in 1, 2 and 3 TB capacities, the Aegis Padlock DT provides a powerful data security solution for the office. For corporate and government customers, Apricorn also provides a free corporate evaluation plan, enabling IT security professionals to fully assess the Aegis Padlock DT as it pertains to their company’s security strategy.
Apricorn’s Aegis Padlock DT is available for purchase at resellers throughout the United States, Canada and online at
128-bit AES model
1 TB: $229
2 TB: $279
3 TB: $359
256-bit AES model
1 TB: $239
2 TB: $289
3 TB: $369
One year limited
High Resolution Image
Compatible with any standard USB port (for full USB 3.0 speeds the Padlock DT must be used with a USB 3.0 port). Fully compatible with Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac computers and Linux.
Apricorn, a leader in personal storage, has provided secure storage solutions for some of the most prominent names in the industries of finance, healthcare and government. Apricorn’s products have become the standard for many mobile security strategies. Apricorn was founded in 1983 and has developed numerous award winning products under the Apricorn brand and has been an OEM supplier to a number of leading computer manufacturers. Apricorn is headquartered in Poway, California, and distributes products throughout North America and Canada.