Apricorn Introduces FIPS Version of
Aegis Padlock DT
- Tuesday, June 10, 2014
- Store Owner
Apricorn’s New Aegis Padlock DT FIPS Adds an Even Higher Level of Security to its Biggest, Fastest Desktop Data Storage Unit with FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Validation
Poway, CA – May 31, 2014 – Apricorn (www.apricorn.com), a leading designer and manufacturer of data security products for business, military, and government, has raised the bar by elevating the security level of their workhorse desktop drive. The combination of USB 3.0 speed, high-capacity storage (up to 6TB), and FIPS 140-2 Level 2 validated security makes this drive one of the most user-friendly / hacker-hostile data storage units in existence.
“Reports of lost or stolen unsecured drives are a daily occurrence” said Mike McCandless, VP of Sales and Marketing at Apricorn.
“A seemingly small breach like a single unsecured drive that’s lost or stolen from a medical office can translate to tens of thousands of private confidential records becoming anything but private and confidential.”
Protection From Unauthorized Access
- Alphanumeric keypad for secure access – The Aegis Padlock DT FIPS uses an onboard keypad to unlock the drive with a unique 7-16 digit PIN. The embedded keypad prevents hardware or software malware attempts to capture your password entered via the host system.
· Forced Enrollment PIN: The Aegis Padlock DT FIPS elevates your data security right out of the box by placing a Forced Enrollment PIN feature at the front end of the setup process. Since there is no factory preset admin PIN number, a unique admin password must be created and entered to begin the initial drive setup.
- FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Validated: The Aegis Padlock DT FIPS 140-2 validation is the cryptography standard required by the US federal government for protection of sensitive data, covering 11 areas of its cryptographic security system, including physical security, cryptographic key management and design integrity.
- Auto-Lock: An unattended Aegis Padlock DT can be configured to lock after a pre-determined period of inactivity –ideal for protecting your data when you’re away from your desk.
- Brute Force Defense Mechanism – Protecting against automated attempts to crack the drive’s PIN, the Aegis Padlock DT uses a three pronged approach to protect itself from hackers; after denying access to incorrect PINs 5 times, the DT requires the drive to be disconnected and reconnected to the USB port. Once the maximum number of failed attempts is reached, the Aegis Padlock DT assumes that it is under attack and then performs a crypto-erase, rendering all stored data useless, and a complete reset of the Aegis Padlock DT must be performed in order to redeploy the drive.
Perfect for Corporate Deployments
Simple to deploy and manage in corporate environments, the Aegis Padlock DT FIPS can be configured with independent Admin and User PINs. If the user forgets their PIN, the drive can be unlocked using the Admin PIN. The Aegis Padlock DT FIPS also employs a useful drive reset feature, which can be implemented with a unique command. This clears all PINs and data, and creates a new randomly generated encryption key, enabling the drive to be reset and redeployed as many times as needed.
Software-Free Design: Setup takes just minutes. With no software installation required for setup or operation and the ability to run on virtually any platform that supports USB and a storage file system, the Aegis Padlock DT FIPS provides stress-free deployment in all corporate environments. Its Administrator Feature allows enrollment of up to four unique user ID’s and one administrator, making it a useful business collaboration tool.
USB 3.0 Super Speed Connection – with data transfer rates of up to 10x those of USB 2.0 devices, you can access your high capacity hard drive faster than ever.
Aluminum Enclosure with Wear Resistant Keypad – With a durable solid aluminum heat-dissipating enclosure the Aegis Padlock DT FIPS is able to whisk away heat from the rotating drive inside. In addition, the Aegis Padlock’s wear resistant keypad hides key usage, avoiding tipping off a potential hacker to the commonly used keys.
Wide Variety of Drive Sizes and Free Support – Available in 2, 3, 4, and 6TB capacities, the Aegis Padlock DT FIPS provides a powerful data security solution for the office. For corporate and government customers, Apricorn also provides a free corporate evaluation plan, enabling IT security professionals to fully assess the Aegis Padlock DT FIPS as it pertains to their company’s security strategy.
Apricorn’s Aegis Padlock DT FIPS is available from online retailers and Apricorn’s website at http://www.apricorn.com/padlockdt
256-bit AES model
2 TB: $259
3 TB: $319
4 TB: $409
6 TB: $869
1 year limited
High Resolution Image
Fully compatible with Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac computers and Linux as well as with any OS that supports a storage file system with a standard USB port (for full USB 3.0 speeds, the Padlock DT FIPS must be used with a USB 3.0 port.)
Apricorn has provided secure storage solutions for some of the most prominent names in the industries of finance, healthcare and government. Apricorn’s products have become the standard for many data security strategies. Apricorn was founded in 1983 and has developed numerous award winning products under the Apricorn brand and has been an OEM supplier to a number of leading computer manufacturers. Apricorn is headquartered in Poway, California, and distributes products throughout North America and Canada. For additional information please visit http://www.apricorn.com.
Company Contact: Media Contact:
Apricorn ProLine Communications
Walter Fiorentini Bruce Freeman
(858) 513-4480 (973) 716-9457
One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes; accessible capacity will be less and actual capacity depends on the operating environment and formatting.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.